The Boston Red Sox are your World Series Champions! • Elina Svitolina was super in Singapore. • We dive deep on the good, the bad and the otherwise with the W Series - gotta love the intersection of sports and gender. • The Toronto Raptors remain undefeated, whereas the Toronto Maple Leafs number one stunna is injured. • And, find out why The Office’s Dwight Schrute is in today’s newsletter.
I’m on Top of the World, Hey!
The GIST: After beating the LA Dodgers 5-1 in game five last night, the Boston Red Sox are your new World Series Champions!!! This is their fourth World Series title in 15 years.
Very nice, high five: This year’s Red Sox team is probably the best MLB baseball team we’ve seen in our lives. They had a franchise record-setting 108 wins during the regular season and absolutely dominated during the playoffs. Last night’s superstars were coincidentally prior Toronto Blue Jays players. Boston’s starting pitcher, David Price, pitched until the eighth inning only giving up three hits, and first basemen Steve Pearce hit two clutch home runs to seal Boston’s fate. Meanwhile, Dodgers pitcher, Clayton Kershaw became the only pitcher to pitch over 151 playoff innings WITHOUT winning a World Series. Not the side of history you wanna be on.
Trump Tweets: Of course, as much as we all wanted it to, the World Series could not go uninterrupted by President Trump. Honestly, someone needs to put a child lock on his phone. After LA lost game four, Trump chirped the LA Dodgers manager on a pitching change decision over Twitter. TF does this guy know about running a country managing a pro baseball team? A lot of media also clapped back at the President for tweeting about a baseball game just a day after the mass shooting in Pittsburgh. Not a good look. Anyway. It was a MAGICAL season of baseball and we’re v sad to see it go. We’ll see you in April to kick off the 2019 season.
Who Run the World?
The GIST: Watch out world, there’s a new tennis queen in town. Congratulations toElina Svitolina for winning the WTA Finals yesterday in Singapore!
The deets: Before getting into it, if you need a quick refresher on WTF the WTA Finals are, get #thegist of the tournament here. Anyway. Yesterday, Svitolina came back from a one-game deficit to beat American Sloane Stephens 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 and claim victory. It was one helluva game, but our fave highlight from the match wasthis incredible shot from Svitolina. Fire us up!
Why is this a BFD?: Well, Svitolina is the first-ever Ukranian player to win a WTA Finals. And, this tournament win is the biggest win of Svitolina’s career as she’s never won a Grand Slam tournament before. It’s also the biggest paycheck Svitolina has ever earned. She’s leaving Singapore with an extra $2.34-million Canadian in her pocket. GET THAT MONEY, HONEY!
The GIST: Earlier this October, Formula One (motorsports racing) announced that it is launching the “W Series” in 2019. The W Series is an all-female driver competition designed to promote women in the sport and provide a stepping stone to overcome the sport’s huge gender gap.
Sounds sweet, right?!: Welllll, maybe, or maybe not. Some drivers are all for the W Series in providing a platform for women racers, and some think it’s just going to segregate women from men even more in the sport. As y’all know, we love exploring the intersection between sport and gender, so we decided to dive deeper into this W Series. We just couldn’t help ourselves. Whether you're into motorsports or not, as someone who supports gender equality, we think you’ll like this piece. Check out The GIST’s Deep Dive on the W Series here.
GIST Some Other Sh!t you Should Know
- The Toronto Raptors remain undefeated at 6-0. It’s their best start to a season EVER. Damn, baby!!! Meanwhile, the Lebron-less Cleveland Cavaliers – and the reigning Eastern Conference champions – fired their head coach Ty Lue after starting their season 0-6.
- Montreal Alouettes quarterback (QB) Johnny Manziel (AKA Johnny Football) FINALLY won his first start in the CFL after beating the Toronto Argos 40-10. We would say that Johnny is the most popular player in the CFL. Why?! Here’s #thegistofit.
- Ay caramba. Toronto Maple Leafs superstar sniper, Auston Matthews, is injured. On Saturday, Matthews left the ice after this DOOZY of a hit from Winnipeg JetsJacob Trouba. Yikes. It looks like this upper-body injury (most likely his shoulder) is somewhat serious, as Matthews isn’t playing in tonight’s game against the Calgary Flames. But don’t fret Leafs fans: we’re still sitting atop the Eastern Conference standings with an 8-3 record.
- OKAY, YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS CATCH. Houston Texans DeAndre Hopkins lays out for the football, catches it with one hand, and then BRINGS THE BALL IN BETWEEN HIS LEGS to make the catch. Just insane. We could literally watch this all day.
- Just when we thought we couldn’t like JJ Watt, Houston Texans defensive endmore, he whipped out this fire of a look inspired by The Office’s Dwight Schrute. “Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.” Legend.
Get it in The Cal.
Today: It’s a marvelous night for sports. Here’s what’s on the docket:
7:00 p.m. ET: Things are gonna be rockin’ and rollin’ in Scotiabank Arena tonight as the Toronto Maple Leafs are hosting the Calgary Flames.
8:00 p.m. ET: The Toronto Raptors are flying to Milwaukee to take on the Bucks, who are also sitting with a 6-0 record. This should be interesting.
8:15 p.m. ET: The Buffalo Bills are hosting the New England Patriots for Monday Night Football! We’ll be providing real-time informative (and sassy) GIST commentary through Facebook Messenger throughout the game. If you’re interested in tuning in with us, click here.
Tuesday: The Raptors are playing back-to-back games and are hosting the Philadelphia 76ers at 7:30 p.m. ET.